Sunday, October 5, 2008

We are the Champions!

Hi there. This is Alana. You'll see my name over there to the side listed as a "contributor", although I haven't contributed much here on this blog, except for simply getting it started. I have been a member of what I call "blog world" for a little over a year and it has blessed me greatly. I think this blog has a lot of potential for helping us create more community within our church. Dave and I have been brainstorming ideas to spruce things up around here (the blog) as well as adding content that will leave you wanting to visit more and perhaps even join in the discussion.

One of the ideas we've spoken about is a forum type discussion on the sermon. Of course, in order to have a forum, we'll need you to get involved via the comment section. If you'd like to join in the discussion, simply leave a comment. In order to leave a comment, you must first create a google account with a username. Then at the end of the post, you simply click on "post a comment" and offer your thoughts.

I thought this week's sermon was a great place for us to start, so I will offer a few of my thoughts and then offer a couple of ways for you to enter the discussion, if you so choose.

The title of today's sermon was "Victory". Dave's starting thought was...

Don't forget: We are in a battle. (Ephesians 6:12)

I think as I mature in life and in spiritual life I am becoming more and more aware of this. I have started to recognize the areas that Satan targets me and have learned to resist him with scripture and calling on God to fight the battle for me. Because after all, we know in the end that He is the victor! This brings me great comfort and empowers me to fight instead of walking around in defeat. There are a couple of areas in my life that he has learned are easy targets. Although, by the grace of God, I see the targets getting smaller! For the sake of being transparent and in hopes of starting of the discussion, I will share a couple of them with you.

One area is in my desire to please men. I have always been a people pleaser, and although not all of you will relate to this, some of the darkest times in my life were when I had conflict with someone and was unable to resolve it. I'm also a peacemaker, so when there is unresolved conflict in my life it can take me to a dark place. A dark place where Satan is waiting and more than willing to "devour" me.

Another area is in my want for things. This manifests itself in different ways for me. One way is in regards to food and another way is with actual material things. I have bought into the lie for too long that these are needs and not wants and that I would not be "okay" without them. God has been teaching me lately that I can be more than okay without these things. In fact, I can be FREE without them. He has no desire for me to live in bondage.

Okay, it's your turn to enter the discussion. Here are a few questions to get you started...

1) Are you aware of the "battles" in your life?
2) In which battles have you found victory?
3) In which battles are you still struggling?
4) What are some of your favorite scriptures for "resisting" the Devil?

"...for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God."

1 John 5:4-5

No comments: